Rural Property Repossession


Rural Property Repossession

Our Carlisle office has been kept busy over the last few months. They have seen an increase in the number of landlords instructing us to take possession of rural properties.

Eviction from a rural property

An eviction from a rural property is often more complex than the more routine evictions from other types of commercial properties such as shops and warehouses. This is because it is often that there will be also livestock that needs to be removed from the property.

When our Enforcement Agents or Horse Bailiffs are called upon, they need to make sure that they evict any people from the property within current legal guidelines.

In small holdings they also need to ensure the well being of any animals that are left on the property due to the residents not being able to, or being unwilling to re-home them.

Sometimes the tenant believes they will be able to resolve their issues before the eviction is complete, or they just do not want to leave.

Animal Welfare

Enforcement Agents and Horse Bailiffs have a duty of care under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. This continues until the agent has passed the animal on to someone else.

In most cases our agents will try to re-home the animal. However in rare circumstances the animals need to be destroyed. When it is deemed necessary to destroy an animal, we involve Animal Welfare Officers in order to ensure the animals receive the best available care.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) also has an impact on how we carry out evictions from rural properties that also have animal residents.

The rules for the movement and transportation of animals varies from species to species. This includes whether the animal needs to have an animal passport or whether it should have a passport and we have not been provided with it. There are also movement orders for sheep, goats and deer. These need to be correctly reported to the Animal Reporting and Movement Service (ARAMS).

Our job does not end when the initial rural eviction is completed. We then have to follow the TORTS procedure, an Act of parliament from 1977 that relates to interference of goods.

As you can see our specialised Enforcement Agents and Horse Bailiffs need to have an in depth understanding of several laws, and the ability to work with other agencies.

We can help

If you need to evict a tenant and their animals in Carlisle or across the country, the specialised enforcement agents and horse bailiffs Quality Bailiffs are ready to help.

read more eviction articles