Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to your frequently asked questions

Quality Bailiffs provide bespoke Enforcement and Investigation solutions for your organisation.

To help you understand our services we have answered some of your frequently asked questions.

National Standards for Enforcement Agents

Taking Control of Goods

April 2014 the Ministry of Justice issued guidelines on how Enforcement Agents and creditors are expected to behave.

The standards are intended for use by all enforcement agents, public and private, the enforcement agencies that employ them and the major creditors who use their services. Private sector enforcement agents who are recovering debts owed to the public sector perform the vast majority of enforcement work, and this document has established a set of common standards to cover this activity supporting the underpinning legislation. In order to improve the public's perception of the profession, enforcement agents and those who employ them or use their services, must maintain high standards of business ethics and practice.

The national guidance does not replace local agreements, existing agency codes of practice or legislation; rather it sets out what the Ministry of Justice, those in the industry and some major users regard as minimum standards.

PDF download   Download Taking Control of Goods: National Standards.

Business to Business debt recovery

What do you charge?

All our charges are agreed with you in advance.

The charge is dependent on the work undertaken. For example, for the first stage preparing and sending letters to the debtor we charge:

  • £40 per invoice under £1,000
  • £70 per invoice between £1,000 and £10,000
  • £100 per invoice over £10,000

Later stages charges are based on a percentage of money collected.

Do you do all the legal work?

Quality Bailiffs are not lawyers or legal experts. We use approved solicitors that we put you in touch with and help instruct in the recovery process.

Quality Bailiffs also has other approved contractors, such as locksmiths, High Court Enforcement Officers, that we work with to provide you with a seamless debt recovery service.

Statutory Demands

What will it cost?

From £100 plus vat to draw up and serve the Statutory Demand.

How long does it take?

We aim to have your statutory demand drawn up and sent out to a process server within 24 hours of your instruction.

Consumer / Residential Landlord debt recovery

How much does this cost?

We no longer provide this service without a court order/judgment (CCJ).

Enforcement Cost

What are the costs of enforcment?

For all debt types apart from High Court the scale of fees is as follows:

  • For Debts less than £1,500
    • Compliance stage Fee when Enforcement Agent receives case £75
    • Enforcement Stage fee for Attendance by Enforcement Agent £235
    • Removal stage fee when Enforcement Agent attends to remove goods to auction £110
  • For Debts over £1,500
    • Compliance stage Fee when Enforcement Agent receives case £75
    • Enforcement Stage fee for Attendance by Enforcement Agent £235 + 7.5% of debt above £1,500
    • Removal stage fee when Enforcement Agent attends to remove goods to auction £110 + 7.5% of debt above £1,500

What are the fees for High Court debts?

For High Court debts the scale of fees is as follows:

  • For Debts less than £1,000
    • Compliance stage Fee when Enforcement Agent receives case £75
    • First Enforcement Stage Attendance by Enforcement Agent £190
    • Second Enforcement Stage Attendance by Enforcement Agent £495
    • Sale or disposal stage fee £525
  • For Debts over £1,000
    • Compliance stage Fee when Enforcement Agent receives case £75
    • First Enforcement Stage Attendance by Enforcement Agent £190 + 7.5% of debt above £1,000
    • Second Enforcement Stage Attendance by Enforcement Agent £495 + 7.5% of debt above £1,000
    • Sale or disposal stage fee £525 + 7.5% of debt above £1,000

£75 to be paid by creditor if enforcement abortive

What goods cannot be removed to sale?

Not all goods can be removed from the debtor to be sold to pay off their debt. There are a number of exemptions the main part of which are listed below:

  • Items or equipment (for example, tools, books, telephones, computer equipment & vehicles) which are necessary for use Personally by the debtor in the debtor’s employment, business, trade, profession, study or education, except that the total my not exceed £1,350
  • Such clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment, items and provisions as are reasonably required to satisfy the basic domestic needs of the debtor and every member of the debtor’s household.
    This will include but not limited to:
    • (i) a cooker or microwave
    • (ii) a refrigerator
    • (iii) a washing machine
    • (iv) a dining table large enough, and sufficient dining chairs, to seat the debtor and every member of the debtor’s household
    • (v) beds and bedding sufficient for the debtor and every member of the debtor’s household

Visits and Legal Procedures

What do you charge for a visit?

From £75 plus vat.

Does the legal proceedings work on a no collection no fee basis?

No. The lawyers usually do this on a fixed fee. They need paying regardless of the success or not of the outcome.

Trespasser Eviction

Eviction from land - How quick can you act?

We usually have them served the same day as we are instructed with a view to them leaving the following day.

What will it cost?

We charge a low fixed fee for drawing up the notices and sending out our Bailiffs / Enforcement Agents to personally serve the trespassers.

If they do not move we again will agree a fixed fee for a basic eviction assuming we are supported by the Police and we do not require tow trucks.

Specialist Enforcement Response Team

Do you need a court order to evict Protesters or Squatters?

Under most circumstances an Order for Possession will be necessary in order to get a Writ of Possession to remove protesters and squatters.

There are some limited circumstances where this may not be necessary and appropriate if we can gain access peaceably.

We would need more details to be able to advise on this, and usually require a site visit for a risk assessment.

How long does it take to evict Protesters or Squatters?

The time required depends upon the individual circumstances of the eviction.

Usually once the Writ of Possession is obtained we can work very fast; in some cases within hours. Larger more complex operations may take a few days to plan and deploy the full resources required.

Horse Removal

Horse removal - How much does this cost?

The cost depends upon a number of factors including:

  • the location of the horses
  • the number of horses
  • sex of the horses
  • how you want us to dispose of the horses

Every job must start with a risk assessment and site survey. If you want us to serve the notices this can be done at the same time without any additional charge. Only once this site visit has been completed can an accurate quotation be given.

Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery

What will it cost?

Usually nothing as the tenant pays ours fees.

How quick can you act in collecting CRAR?

We will commence action the same day we receive your instruction but the new regulations say we cannot take control of goods until after the Notice of Enforcement has expired. The notice can be issued the same day as the instruction.

Will my tenant be charged a fortune in Bailiff / Enforcement Agent fees?

No. Our fees are set by law. Please see .

Can you do CRAR on my Pub?

No. Under Section 75 of the TCGA, no part of the demised premises can be let as a dwelling or used as a dwelling, therefore CRAR is only available on purely commercial tenancies.

Possession / Forfeiture

Does the tenant pay for this?

No. The landlord needs to pay us for this service, then recover the cost via the bond or through the courts.

How much does this cost?

Cost varies according to circumstances, location and size of the property. However we do this on a fixed fee from £250 plus locksmiths costs.

Can I get you to take possession and remove the tenants goods?

No. When you forfeit the lease you end the landlord tenant relationship and therefore lose your right to seize the goods.

The tenant should be sent a letter to their last known address from you. This is what is known as a TORTS notice which gives them a reasonable time, such as 14 days, to apply for supervised access to enter and remove their goods. If they do not respond then you may dispose of them as you see fit and possibly charge for the disposal.

Can I take possession of the property if it is also a dwelling or has a flat attached without a court order?

The answer is usually no. But if for instance there is a separate entrance and the residential element is on a separate lease then we may be able to help.

We must be very careful not to fall foul of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 also Pirabakaran –v- Patel 2006 3 EGLR 23 the Court of Appeal ruled on this situation and Judged that “let as a dwelling” means “let wholly or partly as a dwelling”.

County Court Judgments

How much will it cost?

Nothing if we collect in full. Worst case scenario it will cost you £150 if we don’t.

Can you collect a County Court Judgment, CCJ, for less than £600?

If the CCJ is for less than £600 it can only be enforced (collected) by the County Court bailiffs.

County Court Bailiffs are civil servants working directly for the Ministry of Justice. You must instruct them via the court. Visit the government website for further information.

What is the minimum amount Enforcement Bailiffs can enforce on a County Court Judgment, CCJ?

If your CCJ is for above £600 we can get this enforced for you via the High Court.

What hours do your Enforcement Agents operate?

Between 06.00 and 21.00 7 days a week.